Stonefields School is a full Primary School (Years 1 – 8), in Auckland New Zealand, with its doors opened to 48 foundation learners in 2011. The 600th learner was enrolled recently and the roll is expected to reach capacity at 1000 learners. The School draws from a diverse community of both high and low socioeconomic status. The School itself is situated within a new housing development in an old quarry 8km from the Auckland CBD. 40+ cultures represent the School population, 8% Maori, 9% Pasifika, 25% Asian, 40% NZ European. An estimated 45% of children speak a language other than English at home.
One of the points of difference at Stonefields School is the open plan nature of the learning environment. High levels of collaboration operate between teachers in a learning hub to best serve 3 times as many learners and leverage teacher strengths*. The Education Review team summarised Stonefields School as a ‘highly inclusive and innovative school for students in Years 1 to 8. Students experience a well designed curriculum with exciting learning experiences that promote their independence and collaborative skills’
Focusing on what matters: Realising a vision for learning
We are situated within times where many are exchanging ideas, theories and what is now known to rethink what is taught, how it is taught and importantly where learning might best take place. Embracing the affordances of space, digital tools and collaboration has led to the abandonment of many aspects of traditional Schooling at Stonefields School.
Innovative learning environments
- Starting with a blank canvas and re-imaging learning and teaching that matters has taken bravery and courage.
- Asking the harder to answer questions continues to be a priority in an environment that is deliberate about causing learning and growing the competencies to equip our learners for an unpredictable future.
The shared responsibility of learning
- Courageous teachers collaboratively pursue opportunities to challenge, inquire and make stuff betters for learners.
- The most powerful enabler and conscious leadership work has been to mobilise people through actively establishing effective teams.
- Thinking forward together has becoming a way of being.